• You are here:
  • Home »

O-1 Visa/EB-1 Green Card for Artists and Entertainers

The O-1 and EB-1 are U.S. visas for people who can demonstrate “extraordinary ability” in their area of expertise, so they are typically attractive for artists and entertainers. Here are the top five things artists or entertainers need to know about qualifying for the O-1 non-immigrant visa or EB-1 green card.

1. What do you do best in the field?

To build a compelling case for obtaining an O-1 or EB-1 visa, it helps to have a specific niche in your field. Simply having participated in cultural or artistic projects is unlikely to be sufficient. How can you show that you are not just an artist or entertainer, but one who is specifically known for excellence in some area.

2. How have you been recognized in the field?

As an artist or entertainer, you should be able to point to public recognition of your professional status, such as an IMDB listing or other documents that could help validate your career achievements.

See the video for all the important details on the minimum three criteria you will need to meet for either the O-1 or EB-1 categories.

3. Can I work for my own company or consult outside my position in the entertainment industry?

Yes. The O-1 visa allows for an “agent-based” petition, which would let you create your own corporation to serve multiple clients. The EB-1

Please watch the video for more details.

4. Are letters from important people enough evidence?

When inheriting immigration cases, we often see cases based on letters of referral alone, but these alone provide insufficient evidence of an artist’s or entertainer’s status and achievement. View letters of referral as supporting evidence.

5. What are some examples of evidence that is insufficient?

It is critically important to provide valid evidence to the immigration authorities. Overreaching with evidence can tarnish your entire case. Please view the video for more.

O-1 visa EB-1 green card for artists and entertainers