H-4 (Spouse) Visa Guide

H-4 Visa (Spouse Visa)

If you’re the spouse or dependent child of an H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, or H-3 visa holder, you may be eligible to apply for an H-4 visa. This type of visa allows you to travel to the United States to accompany or reunite with the principal visa holder. Keep reading to learn more about H-4 visas and whether you should apply for one.

What Is an H-4 Visa?

An H-4 visa is a United States visa issued to dependent family members of H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and H-3 visa holders. A dependent family member is defined as a spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21. The purpose of the H-4 visa is to allow family members to travel to the United States to accompany or reunite with the principal visa holder.

If a dependent beneficiary is already in the United States, they can apply for an adjustment of status by filing Form I 539 with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once approved by USCIS, the applicant will be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which will allow them to work in the United States.

Should You Apply for an H 4 Visa?

Whether or not you should apply for an H 4 visa depends on your specific situation. If you are married to someone who holds one of the aforementioned visas and you would like to live in the United States with them, then yes—you should absolutely apply for an H 4 visa. However, if you are unmarried and over the age of 21, then you will not be eligible for this type of visa.



The process of applying for an H 4 visa can be long and complicated—but it’s definitely worth it if it means being able to live in the United States with your spouse or dependent child. If you think that you might be eligible for an H 4 visa, start by doing some research and then begin gathering the required documentation. And finally, don’t hesitate to reach out to an experienced immigration attorney who can help guide you through the process from start to finish.

Want to learn more?

Check out these articles below