P1 Visa: Requirements and How to Win a P1 Visa (USA)

P1 Visa

The P1 is a specialty US visa exclusively for athletes (or other entertainers) and their coaches or support staff. You may apply for a P1 if you are…

  • An internationally-recognized athlete or athletic team seeking to enter the U.S. in order to compete or participate in an event of international standing.
  • Entertainer or entertainment group recognized as outstanding, who plan to perform within the U.S. (whether single event or tour)
  • Coaching staff or support personnel of the above.

P1 visa for athletes and entertainersP1 Visa Details

  • Duration: The term of a visa is usually  based on the planned performance or competition schedule. The maximum allowable initial stay is up to 5 years, but this may be extended up to a maximum of 10 years.
  • P1 holders may perform for payment or prize money
  • They may undertake part-time study while in the U.S.
  • May travel freely both inside and outside the U.S. while the visa is valid
  • Dependents: Spouse and minor children (i.e. unmarried children under age 21) may accompany or visit (under a P-4 visa)
    • Dependents & work: dependents on P-4 visa may not work.
  • The P1 holder may actually have multiple employers, sponsors and other revenue sources, provided the petition is presented by an agent (i.e. agent based petition).
    • Employers may be U.S.-based or foreign, but they must have a contract with the visa beneficiary.
  • Green Card? Holder may apply for an Adjustment of Status and seek permanent residency while in the country under a P1 visa.
    • However note that this does not include support personnel.
  • USCIS may require proof that the P1 applicant maintains a foreign residence to which they intend to return.

Attorney Tips for P1 Applications

Alternative Options to P1 Visa?

Online Visas has a long track record in securing P1 visas for athletes across a range of sports. If you are considering applying for a P1, please contact us to arrange your personal visa strategy session with one of our immigration attorneys.

Related Videos from The Immigration Show

Immigration is Good, and here is why.

Sports Immigration